terça-feira, 23 de maio de 2017

THANATOLOOP ( INTERVIEW )





Thanatoloop is the name of the solo proyect of Michel Leroy (also from Un Festín Sagital and ex-Ascendente) . He has being creating dark and strange sounds since the nineties. From his roots Thanatoloop is a eclectic sonic entity (check their nineties works "El Depravado Virgen", "Masturbaciones de un Virgen" y "La Comunidad de la Lenga"), that can goes from folk, to post-punk, to free improvisation, to industrial noise, to drone, and so on... and the only commun factor in all this free sonic metamorphosis is a non-comercial / non-light actitude.    

1) Tell me when did you start to make music and why?

When I was around 10 years old, or maybe early, my father give to me a casio keyboard, and also show me classical music, since he is a intense listener of that kind of music. I remember listening with headphones Prokofiev`s "Peter and the Wolf", while I was triying to follow the music with my casio. Also the same exercise was done with Terminator soundtrack, and Richard Strauss theme from "2001 a Space Odyssey" soundtrack. Later my mother and father put me in "Escuela experimental Jorge Peña Hen", wich is a kids school with also extra music teaching, there I learnt violin, acoustic guitar and was part of the chorus, besides the chorus, on violin and classic guitar I was kind of mediocre anyway jejeje. And well, later I get into pop, then into rock, then into punk/metal, then into all kinds of "experimental". 

 

2) I would like to know more about you and your projects...

Well I am a 36 years old guy, I have begun recording music around my 14`s years old, in a very obssesive way: I was a lonely one child, victim of bullyng and toxic psychiatric treatment, so I was a lot alone in my house, vomiting all that toxicity on tapes, one after the other: My perceptions of what music can be, where opened very early because older friends that show me great non-comercial stuff, from Dead Kennedys to Iannis Xenakis.
Well, later I get into philosophy and study the career, but now I am an unemployed teacher because I live in a city where is a language AND philosophy career option, so the schools here don`t want a philosopher "only" becuase that means more money... it sucks, a example of the fucking tecnocracy-capitalistic imperialism of these days, some kind of neo-fascism as well. But besides all that shit, I am very happy, I have a wonderful three years old Daugther, a nice family (I live with my parents, mostly because my father is blind and needs help), and VERY good friends. And also in these days, in a total opposite way as was planned, music can give something to eat to my daugther and me, and also I have my parents support, and a partial-time job in a bar and as a private music teacher also I´m working recording bands from while to while). 


As a musician/producer I have several proyects but my most intense are obviously Un Festín Sagital and Thanatoloop, also I am working as live music label/live managment under the moniker of Templo Sagital. My other proyects, most of them dead or going through without me, are: Descención (freek noise rock), Ascendente (avant-rock/postpunk), Poema Arcanus (a famous prog/doom metal band, at least here in Chile), Sangre de Mimo (hardcorepunk), Orquesta Solar (free improvisation from the nineties), etc. In these days I am also playing drums in a still unamed wierdpunk crossover trio, have a performatic industrial noise duo with Lucina Lou, called Lou-Loop that only play live (no studio work in our plans) and a also a duo but with a extreme harsh noise vibe, with Pedro Leiva (also from Power violence band Godzilla) .   

3) Do you have many influences?

Yes, as I was saying from my roots I have multiple influences... since most of my schoolmates treat me so bad, I don`t spend time with them (just with a few of course), and have older friends, that also because we where living in a small city, they were of all kind of styles, just "wierd marginal people" that hung out together (punks, death metals, hiphop, etc), and I was the younger all the time, and got a cool reception of intense non-mainstream material on my early teenage days... in that point I was very lucky besides all the other shits I go through. So yeah!, I like a lot of music, from Bach or Philip Glass, to Ramleh or 886VG, even I like more easy listening massive stuff as Depeche Mode or ABBA, avoiding being a close mind, from melody to harshness, and also from harshness to melody...  I just don`t like overproduced shit without heart.   

4) How is the underground and alternative music scene in Chile?

Not as big as in Perú, Argentina, europe or northamerica... but is intense and have very creative unique bands and solist. Good bands and solist that I can recommend are: Tecnika Aseptika, Coleóperto/Eduardo Astudillo, ihä, Los Pálidos, Zek, Gangrena Surf, Leonardo Ahumada/Ignacio Morales, Espéctro, Circulo Negro, Malalche, Ryzomathic Youth, Prójimo Bil, El diAblo es un Magnífico... well in fact soon my label Templo Sagital wil release a long eclectic compilation of non massive chilean music. 


5) Do you have many contacts around the world?

Most of Un Festín Sagital albums where released outside Chile, in not massive but very professional labels as Beta-Lactam Ring Records and Black Horizons, our debut album was released on USA, so I have years and years dealing and sharing with cool people outside my country, also I even have the chance to work with and get the artistic respect of one of my teenage music "heroes" as are The Legendary Pink Dots, that also are released on BLRR. Through the years, and because I love to do music collaborations, I discover, and get in touch with a lot of wonderful musicians from many different countries, with whom I have done music: Alan Courtis, Aranos, NAVE, O+yn, Vlimmer, Har, Kamila Lunae, Thorsten Wald (Hotel Encore), Lars Tängmark, The Sevens Collective, James Hamilton, Armchair Migraine Journey, etc Honestly I wish to have more chemistry with more southamerican people, but is something that is growing on these days.  

6) What country do you have good feedbacks because of your music?

Well, in USA we have a lot of friends, also in Canada, from europe England and France, now from Greece and Italy have shown interest in UFS and THNLP music. In Perú there is NECIO records that will release a new UFS album, and NOXA records that is always supporting Thanatoloop.

7) Send a message for your friends or fans.

Well, I prefer friends, as I don`t like fanatism, and I don`t see me over anybody (and also I don`t want anybody above me)... but well, just thanks for give time to my creative work, and also one of the thing I am worry about the fact of create music is see who is following you, who is listening, and how... and at this point far from being a massive audience, is compound with nice gently people, with a social and freindly sensitivity, let`s keep it that way.    


Contacts: 



Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário